Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ah yes... The Good Old Days...

One of my readers sent this along earlier:

I was at a landfill this morning and a driver brought in a container that was used to clean out the home of an elderly couple. I found several old newspapers that had been tucked into a manilla envelope. Some were ratty, but some were in good shape. Car, appliance, food, and clothing prices were amazing. The sports sections were totally Caucasian in the earlier editions. No mention of crime. Nowadays, Birmingham usually has several shootings per night and at least one homicide every couple of days along with several rapes, robberies, etc per week. It was amazing how hair and clothing styles changed from 1963 to 1969. Oh, I saw an article about air pollution being dangerous, etc. in the 1969 paper. No mention of global warming, energy shortages, or the Middle East so far! LOL







3 comments:

  1. Hate to say it but I remember those days, with fondness. Isn't progress wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all those newspapers tucked away. Back then you could get three editions of the same paper each day, the morning, noon and evening editions .All the headlined stories were different. I still save the important ones. Some day my grandson will see what a great nation we were. And maybe, just maybe, he'll want it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH YEAH! Girl's with long hair. And wearing short skirts. Hot rods, and drive in's.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...